Our favorite of the “grands magasins” in Paris is Galeries Lafayette. The store on Boulevard Haussmann in the 9th arrondissement of Paris is their flagship store. Actually, it is three separate buildings.
The largest, and the one with the Coupole, is called not surprisingly La Coupole. It has women’s fashions, children’s fashions, jewlery, bags, and perfume. The mens’ store L’homme can be reached by either or two walkways or just crossing the street from the main store. The men’s store also has home fashions. Finally, the Maison & Gourmet has linens, accessories and food!
What can you do at Galeries Lafayette?
- Check out the changing display in La Couple.
- Go up to the terrace for a spectacular view of Paris.
- Eat in the cafeteria (wine available) and snag a table with a view of the Eiffel tower.
- Have a coffee at the Starbucks inside La Coupole.
- And, of course shop.
What can you buy?
- Pretty much anything in fashion, food and home.
- Take some time and lèche vitrine, that is window shop, throughout the three buildings.
- Be wowed by black truffles at roughly 3500 euros a Kilo.
- Be seduced by the eclairs, cakes, and macarons, and a boutique with an amazing selection of spices.
- Be charmed by the beautifully made children’s clothes with coats priced at 1500 euros and dresses at 600 euros.
- Be tempted! : )
What is amazing to me, is that the walk from our apartment in the 17th to the Galeries Lafayette on Boulevard Haussman is approximately the same distance as the walk from our house in Menlo Park to the Trader Joe’s in Menlo Park.
Of all the activities at Galeries Lafayettes, my favorites are the view from the terrace, checking out what is the latest decoration in the dome, and having a smoothie and snack from the cafeteria.
What’s your favorite thing to do at Galeries Lafayette?
I love the chocolate section.
LikeLiked by 1 person
The quality is amazing. A small piece can be so satisfying!